Saturday, March 13, 2010

A New Leg Immobilizer to go with a New Doctor

It is so amazing what the right size and shape leg immobilizer will do for a person.

Today I met a brand new surgeon who told me a completely different story and outcome for my leg. I now know what the patients mean when they say they are given so many different stories that they do not know what to believe or do. I am now scheduled for surgery on my knee on Monday and I am seriously torn ( no pun intended) about the outcome. This surgeon was extremely honest and forthcoming with everything. He was willing to spend as much time as we needed and explained and answered even the dumbest of questions. I left his office feeling like I made the right decision for my knee and my future. But as the weekend progresses the more insecure I feel. I don't feel insecure about the surgeon, I feel as though he will do right by me but I feel insecure about having the surgery. He said I will most likely almost always have a limp and I will probably need a total knee replacement sometime in my life but the exact time is up in the air. Without this surgery I may need it a lot earlier in my life, not to mention arthritis and pain. But the healing time without the surgery will be the same I just will have more of a limp and more pain and more arthritis. I'm now looking down the barrel of a 12 week off work off my feet gun. All of this because I fell on a step-all this because I made a wrong choice in what door I went in at work. Just goes to show you, one twist of the knee and life as you know it changes forever. The one bright shining moment with this new doctor was when he gave me a new longer, better supportive leg immobilizer. I was never so thrilled. It has cut down on the amount of pain meds by half. It makes my leg feel so much better. So thank you very much Dr Altman- for the new leg immobilizer. Im so trying to appreciate the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment