Sunday, March 7, 2010

Boredom- an Emotional State-Who Knew?

I looked up the definition of boredom. Who knew it was actually an emotional state? Here are two of the many definitions of boredom that I found-
  • Boredom is an emotional state experienced during periods lacking activity or when individuals are uninterested in the opportunities surrounding them. ...
  • One of the most common feelings, boredom results from lack of excitement, adventure, or otherwise fun activities, instilling a sense of unrest. Prolonged boredom can lead to anger or depression. The feeling is often accompanied by loneliness and repetitive thoughts reflecting on your own condition.www.happiness4free.com/definingemotions.html

I can be honest and say I am not uninterested in the opportunities surrounding me. There really aren't any opportunities.When I look around me through the mountains of toys that my 5 year old put on the living room floor I don't see much in the way of opportunities. Unless the opportunity to clean up toys is part of that?

Instilling a sense of unrest-well thats obvious. Its 3:39 am and I'm up writing to myself about boredom.

Can lead to anger and depression--this morning I felt a welling up inside of me of irritability. I wanted everything that was on the floor of the living room out of there. I caught myself repeating and repeating,"please someone pick up the stuff on the floor." And everyone in my house went about their business ignoring my pleas. Ugh! I had already took my happy pill and it wasn't working. I wonder when they will come out with a boredom pill. We can call it the fun pill or the pill full of opportunity or something like that. There are "fun" pills but I believe they are illegeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment